Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Am Not Afraid of the Pressure Cooker...I Am Not Afraid of the Pressure Cooker....


I really want to learn how to can.  I think it is very important.  I also have a very irritating daughter that wants to sew, can, make butter, milk a cow, gather eggs from our own chickens (which she hasn't talked us into YET) and other annoying things like making homemade cottage cheese.  I would just rather sit on my laurels and read a book, but noooooo she takes the prophet literally about being self-reliant. I would prefer just to study about it.

So here I am trying to "teach" her how to do all these things that I don't know how to do. Of the many things she's twisted my arm into doing I have found that I just might like canning.

We did a bunch of peaches, pears and tomatoes this fall and it was kinda fun. Kinda.  It still required work and I'm not sure I'm into that.  (Although I know I really, really need to be.  I am getting better).

So this winter I've decided it's time to practice using the pressure cooker.  I admit I am slightly afraid of it.  But I swallowed down my fears and processed 3 batches of potatoes-of all things.  I have plenty of them-like 500 pounds plenty- so they were a good thing to practice with. They turned out fine. I won't win any fair prizes for them, but it's a start.

I have 200 empty jars and I figure it's time to fill them. Next on the list: stewed chicken, carrots, kidney beans and pinto beans.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime...."I am not afraid of the pressure cooker.....I am not afraid of the pressure cooker....."

6 comments:

  1. I am chanting that to myself too. I have a pressure cooker/canner in my cupboard from my MIL and really need to start canning beans with it. We use beans All. The. Time. It would be so much easier if I'd just can them. I finally ordered the new gasket last week...so any day now I need to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I have been canning now for a few years, but haven't quite got the courage to use the pressure canner! lol I need to forge ahead and use it -

    I stopped by on your other blog "Being A Mother Who Knows" and am so glad you also have a family blog! I see we have a lot in common. :) Looking forward to sharing in your journey on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pressure canner! I, too, had to get used to it. I still keep everyone else out of the kitchen just in case. I need to put up more chicken this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM afraid of the pressure cooker!!!! I have seen one or the effects of one blowing up twice! I am afraid of the pressure cookker!!! Ask you dad about Deanna. Love Aj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for you! Keep canning...it makes the best homemade fast food.

    ReplyDelete